Thursday, November 03, 2005

Just a Quick Coming-Out Story

I told another person. Ha! It makes me laugh. This one was completely unintentional. Most of the others I had contemplated for several weeks. This one happened only because I felt bad for a friend.

Here’s the scoop. My friend, who is a wonderful, funny, and bright girl, confessed her love for me in a special “talk” that she had arranged. I told her I was flattered that she felt that way about me, and that I certainly thought she was a phenomenal person with many wonderful qualities, but that I wasn’t interested in anything more than friendship. After telling her this, it was obvious that she was crushed, embarrassed, etc. I knew the only way to fully explain my unattraction toward her was to tell her about my sexuality. So I did.

The news was very relieving for her. She expressed sympathy for my circumstances, but I think she was happy to know I wasn’t just rejecting her for superficial reasons. Fortunately, I don’t mind that she knows. She is completely accepting of homosexuals – many of her best friends are homosexual – and I knew the knowledge wouldn’t affect our friendship. Quick side note: she, four of her friends and I went out to dinner a couple weeks ago, and she leaned over and said half the people at the table were gay (three of the six). Little did she know that actually a majority of the people at the table were gay. We laughed about this when I told her about my sexuality. I thought it was very funny.

Anyhow, that occurrence was completely unforeseen. Funny though. Ha!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'm glad it went well for you. Where have you been by the way? I was missing reading about your life, it is weird that I feel like I know you from reading your blog. I hope all is well.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Seth R said...

You have inspired me to blog myself. Check me out.

Seth

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is really good, and I hope you tell more people, until you have a network of supportive friends who know you as you are, and can be there for you when you take further steps.... Being gay is no big deal. It is no more significantr than being right-handed or left-handed. People who have a problem with it try to make it a big deal. Good luck. Supportive friends is a good start. Finding someone to really love will be even more rewarding.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Peculiar 'Mormon' said...

Lately, for me anyway, it's come to the point where most people around here, my peers at least, have pretty much either figured out that I deal with same-sex attraction, or I've told them. And thus, it's time for me to get the heck out of here...hello rexburg in 2 months....can't come too soon.

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peculiar Mormon: I've read your blogs--and the agony you are going through (the migraines, the depression, the suicidal thoughts) are caused by Momrmonism, with its messed-up teachings re sexuaslity. You willn find men repressed gay Mormon men with these same symptoms--which vanish once you accept your homosexual;ity, and make a life as a self-accepting gay person, surrounded by accepting friends. The therapists the church recommends will only make your problems worse. With no sexual outlet (no lover, and not even masturbation, for Pete's sake), OF COURSE you'll be depressed and irritibable. You are trying to deny a basic human need. It just doesn't work. You can't run away from yourself, or from your feelings. You need to find a therapist who will help you accept who you are and act on your feelings. And then a guy--mayube another gay Mornon or ex-Mormmon--to love. Living without sex nd without love doesn't work. The medicatins you're taking now won't be needed once you live the life that it is within you.

2:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

I've just seen your blog... it hits real close to home for me. Scarily enough I also live in the D.C. area, who knows we may even see each other at church and not know. (I try to go when I feel I have the strength...). Some days I dont know what to do or say anymore. Anyway, I think I might set up a blog similar to yours... we can read off of each others' thoughts and be depressed together. lol.... BTW, congrats on telling your other friend. I've only told one of my best friends, but a few others know (thats a long story...). I want to tell other people, but I am afraid of their reactions. For now, I guess I'll keep it all inside... Best luck to you!

12:12 AM  
Blogger DCTwistedLife said...

Check out my blog, bud. Inspired by you... thanks! (More posts in the future....)

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home