Thursday, May 11, 2006

Changing Minds ...

I love my friends. Did I mention that I came out to my best friend from SLC back in January? Actually, I might not have mentioned it. I believe at the time I had a good reason for withholding that info. But I don’t remember that reason.

Anyhow, it was a little awkward for me and her at first. When I would talk about going on dates with guys, it would make her feel uncomfortable. So I decided it would be best to stop talking about my dates with her. That was a good call.

I knew she was sympathetic, but she disagreed with my choices. I didn’t realize how much she really felt for me, until yesterday. I was talking to her, and she told me how she got in an argument with some guys at a party over homosexuality. Apparently some of the guys (mainly just one of them) were being extremely homophobic and irrational about the topic. But don’t worry: she set them straight … er … showed them the gay perspective.

This friend is a FANTASTIC debater. She kicked their asses! That was the consensus from the spectators at the party. Anyhow, she debated the issue with passion, compassion, and intelligent arguments. The guy argued himself into a corner with his homophobic rhetoric.

I can’t even begin to tell you how proud I am of my friend. In fact, I’m positive that I wouldn’t have been nearly as passionate about the topic had I been there. I would have discussed it, but I know I wouldn’t have been as harsh. She really cornered the guy in his stupidity. Ha!

I always thought coming out would help my friends and family better understand and appreciate the issue. I’m glad I was right.

Here is my favorite part from our online conversation:

Friend: “You have expanded my views a lot.”
Me: “I must admit that I doubt I would have been as passionate in my arguments.”
Friend: “I think I was passionate because I feel like they are saying it to/about you - and that gets the emotion in it.”

For some reason I was touched by that part. It makes coming out all worth it. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger DCTwistedLife said...

Great to see that some positive has come out (no pun intended) from your disclosure to your friends. I have experienced similar things with my friends and its nice to see people open up their minds a bit and realize that homosexuals are still people that arent limited or bound solely to their sexual orientation.

7:34 PM  
Blogger -L- said...

Go team!

My wife and I are pretty much the gay advocates in our ward. Plus, the all-around controversy magnets. If I had a nickel for every time I made jaws drop... or rather my wife made jaws drop, I wouldn't have the enormous educational debt I now have. ;-)

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home