Monday, April 14, 2008

Another Dad Email

I kinda thought my dad was accepting things as they are and was ready to move forward with our relationship, despite our differences. Apparently I was a little wrong. I received another email from him recently, urging me to come back to the church. Not my favorite email to receive, but at least this email was less full of damnation and hellfire talk. I'm not sure if he'll ever give up hope -- I can live with that. Anyhow, here's the email:

GM,

It was good to see you on the weekend of March 16th; we enjoyed having so many of our family home that weekend.

Mom and I attended the temple for two sessions yesterday; it was the 4th and 5th times we have attended in the month we have been home. Each time we go through a session our thoughts go to family and the eternal nature of every living person. We desire greatly that all our children and their children live the covenants which will ensure they inherit the highest degree of glory in the Celestial Kingdom.

Benjamin spoke of the joy of these inheritors: "And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it." Mosiah 2:41

One of the most well-attested facts is that men and women continue to live after they lay down these mortal bodies--the physical body returning to the earth or clay from whence it was organized or created--but the spirit, our real self, our personality, our intelligence lives on. Literally millions of people through the years have seen their loved ones beyond the grave and have received communication from them.

More than 500 people witnessed the physical resurrection of Jesus the Christ either at Jerusalem or in Galilee. He did rise from the grave and received His body again, glorified, physical consisting of flesh and bones. His resurrection is a fact! And ours is testified of by Him and all the Prophets who have written about the Atonement.

At the end of his discourse, Benjamin said, ". . . there is no other name given whereby salvation cometh; therefore, I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives."

"For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?"

"Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works that Christ, the Lord God Omnipotent may seal you his, that you may be brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life, through the wisdom, and power, and justice, and mercy of him who created all things, in heaven and in earth, who is God above all. Amen." Mos 5:8,13,15

Mom and I know this to be true. And you have known this also. We pray often that you will return your thoughts and desires to doing good and to obeying the Lord's commandments. This is the only way to have true happiness and peace of mind.

Love,
Dad

I decided to dismiss his email entirely. Here's my response:

Hi Dad,

Thanks for the email. How are things? Have you adjusted to life at home? I've heard from several people that they're so glad to have you and mom home.

How's the health? What's new with work?

GM

3 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

I used to get lots of those kinds of e-mails. Since I left the church a couple of weeks ago, my parents haven't mentioned anything about the church. Its been nice. We'll see how long this lasts though.

9:42 AM  
Blogger David said...

Occasionally my Dad will still want me to read some talk or something. I think if when I settle down and have a partner he still continues to try and persuade me back to the church that I will draw the line then.

I know what he believes and I respect his right to it. I don't try and persuade him from his faith or life path and I think he owes that to me in return.

It's a fine line maintaining open communication. But the bottom line is that I know I would start to build walls between us if I felt he was going to try and whittle me down repeatedly.

And can I just say that it bugs me when people claim to know the only true path to happiness! I am happier now with more peace in my heart than I ever was while trying to be the obedient, repressed Mormon. It says right in the Proclamation on the Family that happiness in family life is most likely founded upon the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Mormon's do not have a monopoly when it comes to happiness or peace.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm kind of going through this myself. Trying to stay close with my family but still pursue the life I want to lead has been the hardest thing for me.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home