Monday, January 21, 2008

Welcome 2008

The holidays came and went in a blur, didn't they? It's nice to have things calm down a bit, but I do miss the excitement and energy of the season.

I thought I'd share a bit of good news with everyone. I received a Christmas letter from my parents right before Christmas, and I was thrilled about one particular line in it. Unfortunately, I can't find the damn letter, so I'll have to guesstimate the exact wording.

It went something like this: "GM, we love the teachings of the gospel, and we hope you keep them close to your heart, even if you choose not to live them."

I was touched by the comment. It wasn't the most monumental progress, but I feel that my parents are realizing that although I might not always live the teachings of the church, I can always treasure and respect the doctrines, which is something I want to do. I liked the letter.

I also liked that my parents are starting to deal with the thought of me being inactive. It sounds like they are realizing that maintaining a positive relationship is what we all want, and they are working toward that. Also, my dad sent me a thank you email for a gift that my siblings and I gave to him for Christmas. It was really nice of him. Here's what it said:

GM,

Thank you for leading the charge of your siblings in providing a new shaver for me. The Braun Pulsonic electric shaver is probably the best one I have ever used--and my face hasn't yet adjusted to it. I thank you for helping to pay for it as well--hope your brothers and sister help you pay for it.

I appreciate your thoughtfulness. I now shave in 10 minutes instead of 20-30 minutes with the two Norelco razors I was using. They just weren't doing it, even when the shaving heads were new. The automatic cleaner is great. I never have to wash it out or to brush out the whiskers.

Thanks again.

Dad


I'm glad this email shows the other side of my father (the less serious, damnation-speaking side). To be honest, it kinda sounds like he copied and pasted a testimonial from the Braun website. His email made me chuckle.

Maybe I'm reading too much into these little notes, but I don't really care -- I see progress, and I wanted to share.

Happy New Year! 2008 will be great.

GM

2 Comments:

Blogger playasinmar said...

Progress is progress.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Cat Zen Space said...

Hi, GM--

This sounds like progress indeed. What is clear is that your parents love you and nothing will change that for them.

Life has come a long way for you. I am happy for you!

All the best,
Bill

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home