Saturday, February 11, 2006

Give me some straighties

I'm quickly figuring out the type of gay people I like to hang around -- basically those who don't act gay. I went out with some "more flamboyant" types tonight. They were very friendly and nice. Good guys. Really good guys. Nonetheless, they just aren't my crowd. I'm not saying I need some uberstuds flocking around me. I simply want friends who are less ... animated? ... expressive? ... loud?

Overall I had a nice night. They laughed at my jokes, which was nice. I like people who think I'm funny. Yes, I'm self-absorbed.

I've actually been lucky because only one group so far has been kind of flamboyant. Still, I'm missing my straight friends right now. I've been doing so much with the gay crowd lately. I think I'm going to have to find a balance between gay and straight friends. Here I come church activities!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the same way.

I enjoy being around people I can relate to, level with, and be real with. And there's something inside me that believes that all that flamboyancy is just some guise to hide the insecurities and the pain that plagues the individual. Perhaps, with more experience around the "flamboyant types" I will be able to understand it more, but I prefer to be as down to earth as possible. And I like to hang out with people who are also down to earth, because I can relate to them and talk to them on an equal level.

Being flaming has its humoristic appeal (have you seen The Producers yet?), and I do use it around my friends to get a laugh, but I don't understand yet how some can be that "on" all the time.

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In all honesty, while I'm living the straight lifestyle, there's something to be said about hanging out with gay folks. I haven't done it much, or really at all, and the only people that lean that way have been like me, very, very devoted to their faith.

I once did a project for a class with two guys from my class and we were up very late (4:00 am). For one reason or another they started lisping and flaming, and it was just liberating to cut loose, act gay and just feel "at home," meaning that I could act any way I wanted and these guys would be just as friendly to me.

They had no idea I had SSA/gay feelings, but hey, what they didn't know didn't hurt them, right?

If you ever want to just hang out on/around campus with a "straightie" I'm fine with that; just let me know.

Quiet Mormon

1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home